Thursday 11 April 2013

Discussion - Avatars

No, not the beautiful blue people in the movie!

PMA2010Avatar

Well, maybe it is about the Na'vi, and that's what I want to discuss here.

(If you have feedback during this transition weekend (12/13/14/15 April, depending on where you are), then leave a comment here or just tweet to @WeRPhotography. If you come across this post later, you can leave a comment or send an email.)

When you have control of a Twitter account, you can change the avatar that is shown on every tweet you send, as well as the header image on the account's profile page.

Just in case you're confused, here's what my personal profile page looks like. The Cookie Monster insert is my avatar (pretty much internet-wide) and the outer image is the header image.

JJWDHeader


I don't know about you guys, but I tend to rely quite a bit on the appearance of the avatar images to quickly ascertain whose tweets I'm reading on Twitter.

Originally, and currently for that matter, I've encouraged @WeRPhotography guest tweeters to change both of these images to reflect their own style.

Those of you who have been paying close attention will realise that the above two statements are in conflict.

It may also be that I am not the only person who feels such conflict. Conflict is bad. Let us set out to resolve this.

Choices and discussion points:
  • Continue to allow each guest tweeter to change both the avatar and the header image to suit themselves.
  • Fix the avatar as a recognisably @WeRPhotography icon, but allow the guest to change the header image.

    Examples:

    F_UK
    @PeopleOfUK

    F_NZ
    @PeopleOfNZ
  • Free rein on the header image, and on a layer of the avatar, but with the avatar having a recognisable @WeRPhotography overlay.

    Examples:

    O_Sweden
    @Sweden

    O_Spain
    @We_R_Spain

    O_Scientists
    @realscientists

    O_Italy
    @I_am_Italy

I, personally, like this idea. It does, of course, present several problems.

  • These avatars are quite small, How do we make an overlay noticeable enough without losing the underlying image?
  • We are photographers! How do we allow enough freedom for guest tweeters to use their own images and still use the overlay.
    • We could make several variations of the overlay available. Perhaps using different corners of the image?
    • We could make clever use of transparency in the overlay(s).
  • How do we make the overlay easily available and easily useable?
    • Google Drive?
    • Windows Live?
    • Dropbox?
    • My personal Flickrstream?
    • Twibbon?
So, what do you think?

ps It has just occurred to me that there is a third image associated with a Twitter account - the profile background. What should we do with that?

4 comments:

  1. I can see the theory behind a theme for the avatar but have to admit the different pic each week serves to remind that there has been a change of custodianship on the account. So perhaps the idea of a twibbon type logo would serve to maintain the identity of the account while allowing each curator their chance to put their "mark" out there as well.
    I tend not to look on twitter itself as I use tweetdeck so until you pointed out that the header could be changed,weekly as well, I was unaware that this had been happening - sorry...will make a point of looking in future

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bird. But agree a personal touch for guest hosts would be good.
    Maybe a bold colour frame as a constant, with each host's own avatar overlayed in the centre.
    But I then wonder how workable this would be.
    Or maybe even have a unique avatar image, to a theme, but still basic blue or striped etc.
    Oh and I think I will now go change mine to my latest favourite photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with maidofkent, I like the change which shows there is a new tweeter. I often get confused with other rocur accounts which have a fixed avatar because I'm confusing two different people's tweets (it doesn't take much!). So I think a choice of overlays, maybe on twibbon as it is simple to use, i'd a great idea!

    Also I rarely tend to see the header image, as I use an app on my phone to access.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with the others that have commented. Let the curators customise, and if you're going to add some "branding", a ribbon or corner probably the best option. Something that's classy though.

    In terms of the header and background... I too use Tweetdeck, so rarely see these... only when I go to read the bio of the curator and get a link to there usual twitter account.

    ReplyDelete